Friday, August 31, 2007


Changes......................
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a "bummer" post but today was a "turning point" for me. As the kids get older and college is getting closer and closet the bills and expenses of having teens mount. I have been a SAHM since Greg was 1--he's now 15. I never really minded working before but having two young ones, it was time for me to stay at home. Then along came Emily, then came Mark. I have no regrets staying home--I have enjoyed every minute of it (okay, there were times I was ready to throw in the towel). So, today we met with our insurance agent to go over everything. Our car insurance has skyrocketed now that we have Elizabeth driving "full time" and a third car. Having sent Mark to Huntington Learning Center was "brutal". It is sooooooooooooo expensive. But, as parents we have to do things for our children. I have no regets sending him there. They have helped him so much and I have seen his confidence come back. He lost that. He kept telling me that he wasn't as smart as the other kids and that he was "stupid". That was heart wrenching to hear a six year old say that. He hated school. Didn't want to go. Now he is enjoying it again. I am happy for him. So, after crunching numbers, I have decided it's time for me to get back into the work force. I have been making calls and "net working". I may never find what I want. I am picky about hours. I can only work while my kids are in school. I cannot put Mark in after care. I would lose money if I did that. So, for my kiddos (above), I am willing to go to work to help pay for the "extras". Elizabeth has even told me that she wants to get a small part time job to help pay for her gas and get some "experience". We have never brought up her getting a job because school is most important. But, if she wants to start paying for stuff by herself, she will get no argument from me. My first job was when I was 16 and I worked at McDonald's. I ended up staying there for 3 very long years. Even Greg is saying that he would love to work at Publix (our grocery store). I told them that I would support them and help them in any way if they want to work as long as it doesn't interfere with school work. So wish me luck that I can find something that will work for me. I am actually getting excited at the idea of getting out of the house and "mingling" with other adults and bringing in a paycheck again.
Well, as I am typing this, a thunderstorm is rolling in. I better get off the computer as I am on router #3 since May--all thanks to our wonderful Florida storms and their lightening. Off to log off.......................................

No comments: