Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcome 2009

Can't believe another year has come and gone. It seems like 2008 just flew by.

Highlights of 2008 for me were:

Got my Canon Rebel

Mark made his First Communion

Greg made his Confirmation

Elizabeth graduated high school
(those three all took place within two weeks of each other)

Elizabeth went off to college

Emily started high school

Patti & Krissy came down to celebrate Thanksgiving

Went to Disneyworld

Unfortunately for me, 2008 was not one of my favorite years. So much happened and it was just run, run, run. Especially in May. All the preparation for First Communion and Confirmation.............times have changed and now it's mandatory this, mandatory that. The kids attended Religious Education classes but they also had to attend more monthly meetings and had projects. This was all in addition to their schooling. It was tough. When Liz made her Confirmation several years ago, it wasn't this difficult. I don't know, it just seems like they forgot that these kids go to school and do other things. But, it's over. Done. But, in 2010, we get to go through it again--Emily will make her Confirmation the same time as Greg graduates!

For the first time ever, I didn't enjoy the holidays. At Thanksgiving, we all got the stomach flu. Then two weeks later everyone got "the actual flu". With Thanksgiving being so late, we lost that extra week in between. We went to Disney the weekend before Christmas and family also arrived. They were on vacation. I was not. So, we were expected to hang out with them. I wasn't on vacation. I still had shopping, baking and wrapping to do. I didn't even get all my Christmas stuff out. So, it was my family that didn't get done. Steve's car didn't get fixed as planned because of it all (he did finally get it done but paid way too much). I just didn't enjoy it. The phone was constantly ringing to go and do. It was just way too stressful.

So, I vow in 2009 to make it about me. I'm going to learn how to tell my kids "no". I spend way to much time doing for them. I didn't get hardly any scrapbooking done. We spent all that money to get that extra room made into a scrapbook area and I never can get in there. Someone was always in there watching TV or studying. So, I'm taking my room back. I want to learn how to use my camera that I got. If it means taking a photography class then that's what I am going to do. I am hoping to do some fun online scrapbook challenges. Ali Edwards has one going on where you choose a word to focus on for the year. I am hoping to do one of those Projects 365--you take a picture a day. I've never done one so I need to look into it but I think it would be fun to do. Anyone done one of these and can point me in the right direction?

I am also going to make this the year I get healthy. It's no secret that I've put on weight. As a result, I'm now on medication for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. My goal is to get off all of those by year's end. I've lost about 5 pounds this past month on my own but I'm very greedy and want to lose more. :)

I didn't mean to make this post such a downer but I am vowing to turn it around in 2009!

So, to everyone I wish a Happy 2009. Make it a happy one.

1 comment:

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Oh Kim I agree, so many things going on in 2008 it just seemed to fly by! yes, you need to take time for yourself and project 365 is a blast to look back at. Don't take it too serious, if you miss a day here and there, oh well. There is a flickr group but I forget to post there a lot, I just update on my blog.

I've taken a couple photography classes, so any help I can give you let me know...